Every space is different. Ambitious Home’s bedroom rug styling guide will help guide you to choose the right size rug for your bedroom.
Choosing the right rug for your bedroom can be difficult, especially if you don’t have a ton of space, yet still want your space to be stylish.
Here at Ambitious Home, we believe that everyone should have a home that feels like their own sense of beautiful. We’re here to help you, not only by selling you gorgeous rugs, but also by giving you the tools to create a room that feels like you.
Below you’ll find four different ways we suggest how to style a rug for your bedroom, assuming you have either a king or queen bed. Remember, each space is unique so you’ll have to work with what you can, and make sure you measure!
1. This is best for small rooms or very large rooms. It’s especially great if you live in a place where you don’t like the floors. Remember to carefully measure before you purchase a rug. It should extend 36 inches around most queen or king-sized beds. Most 8×10 or 9×12 rug sizes will work for this.
2. We very much love this look because it gives you the ability to show off any flooring without completely covering it up. You want to aim to have 3-5 inches of floor showing between the edge of the rug and any furniture (such as nightstands). 8×10 or 6×9 should work well for this.
3. This look is great if you have a bed that is pushed up against a wall. This is especially great for runners. You have options to put a runner completely under the night stand, or go with a shorter or small area rug to put on the side of the bed. Again, remember to leave a few inches between the night stand and the rug if that’s the look you’re going for. These sizes are generally flexible.
4. We’re also huge fans of this look if you happen to have gorgeous hardwood floors! Typically we advise putting some of the runner underneath the bed or a bench on the end of the bed to help create some dimension. The runner should also extend to at least the end of your nightstands on each side of your bed. Flexible sizing.
- Don’t let your rug touch your walls. This generally is not a good look. Leave at least 5 inches between the rug and the walls.
- You should always purchase a rug pad to protect both your rug and the floor.
- If you have a bench at the end of your bed, don’t forget to factor that in when you measure.
- Remember to factor in the thickness of the rug. You want to make sure you can open and close all doors.
- If you have a carpeted room, don’t be shy about adding an area rug on top of it.